My SO is definitely my toughest critic. I actually do greatly appreciate his picky palette since I know when I’ve hit the mark (or not) on a recipe. Usually, if I tell him it’s gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, or any other word that might signify a “uniquely healthy twist” you can see his skepticism set in like a flash flood. I’d be lying if I didn’t sometimes NOT tell him ALL of the ingredients just so he’ll at least try it without question.
Unfortunately now the secrets out but it’s okay since these bars just won me immunity…for a little while at least. Ha!
So here’s where I’m going to paint you a picture of me standing on a pedestal holding a gold platter stacked to the brim of these bars, wind blowing in my hair, surrounded by a sparkly, glowing aura, complete with some heavenly background music. That’s basically what I envisioned immediately after his reaction upon tasting a bar (note: he’s not a fan of chocolate). I mean I probably looked absolutely ridiculous as well when I practically threw my arms into the air disrupting my moment of kitchen holiness when noticed he’s STILL eating the stash in the freezer! I actually can’t be more proud and less upset of the dwindling bars.
Okay let me just let that moment sink in again…
I mean if there’s one thing I take seriously it’s THHY. It’s my pride and joy (aside from my daughter of course!) and one of the few things that I truly deep down find a passion in doing. So you can imagine how eager I’ve been to share this recipe with you all and can’t encourage you enough to make these!
These Almond Joy Protein Bars are an easy, healthy snack that border an even better version of the old school candy bar! Since they’re packed with whole grains and 10g of protein per serving it’s the perfect treat to keep you satisfied in between meals throughout the week, refuel pre or post workout, and also a great way to impress your significant other…just saying. I hope you love this one as much as we do!
Almond Joy Protein Bars
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 10 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Set time: 2 hours
- 1 c rolled gluten-free oats
- 1/2 c unflavored vegan protein powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 c creamy natural almond butter
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 c dairy-free chocolate chips
- Line a loaf pan with parchment so the paper hangs over the sides (this will make the bars easy to remove once set) and set aside.
- In a high powdered blender or food processor add the oats and pulse until a fine meal forms.
- Pour the contents into a large mixing bowl and add the protein powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add the remaining bar ingredients into the blender and pulse until well combined. Note: the mixture should be moldable but not too crumbly so if it seems too dry adjust the liquid by adding an additional tablespoon of water.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and place in the freezer to set for at least 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the coconut layer by adding the oil and honey to a saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Warm just enough to melt the oil and soften the honey. Fold in the coconut flakes to coat. The mixture will be sticky.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the coconut layer evenly over the base. Place back in the freezer for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate in the same fashion, either in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. Stir the chocolate continuously if on the stovetop or at the half way point (after about 30 seconds) in the microwave to prevent burning.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate over the top spreading out evenly with a spatula. Place the pan back into the freezer for at least an hour and a half to finish setting.
- Once set, remove the bars by lifting up the parchment. Slice the bars into 10 equal pieces.
Storing: Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a longer shelf life.