I have no shame when it comes to tweaking an already existing recipe and calling it new. It’s like coloring your hair…it’s still your hair just with a little sumthin’ extra, well, cause why the heck not? It’s kind of like my grain-free muffin recipes. They’re a winner. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Although I’m still a lover of the original version, lets be serious here, this one has a swirl of chocolate. Even though this may feel like a guilty pleasure in reality it is anything but since it’s made free of grains, eggs, dairy, and sugar. These gluten-free, vegan, mini muffins are the easiest, healthiest little treat. It’s also the perfect on-the-go snack option for the whole family…
Although, we can’t let the kids have ALL of the fun…so, if your little one(s), like mine, don’t do chocolate you can simply omit the cocoa powder from the batter to make a baby/kid friendly version, too. (It makes a great baby lead-weaning snack FYI!)
Mini Chocolate Swirl Banana Muffins
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 16 mini muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 18-20 minutes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c cashew butter
- 1/4 c banana, mashed
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk (can sub any dairy-free variety)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 16 banana slices (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly spray a mini muffin pan and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients, except the cocoa powder and banana slices, to a high powdered blender and pulse until smooth.
- Remove half of the batter from the blender and add to a small mixing bowl along with the cocoa powder. Mix by hand until the cocoa is evenly incorporated.
- Begin with the batter in the blender and spoon about one tablespoon worth into each muffin well (this should only fill about half of each and no need to smooth it out).
- Then, spoon about one tablespoon worth of the cocoa batter into each as well.
- Using a butter knife or spoon handle gently swirl the two batters together in each well until you achieve a desired swirl.
- (Optional step) Place a banana slice onto the top of each muffin and press down lightly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and center is fully cooked. Allow the muffins to cool completely before removing from the pan.
Storing: These muffins will keep for up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze for a longer shelf life.