If you were like me, or any kid for that matter, hearing your parent rustle through the mixing bowls meant one thing and one thing only…baking. Although before the baking process began there was an even more crucial aspect that meant more than any warm, gooey baked cookie, brownie or cupcake…the batter! The chocolatey smoothness of brownie batter was always my favorite. Don’t get me wrong, I’d never pass up a good lick of the cookie dough bowl either but there was just something about that rich, cocoa, sugary leftover bit in the bowl that I couldn’t wait to get my little eager hands on. Literally.
Now jumping ahead to adulthood, I’ve come to learn that raw eggs equal salmonella and uncooked flour equals E. coli. so you can imagine my kid-like disappointment that simply can’t justify risking a potentially extreme illness for a good lick of the bowl. Sometimes being an all-knowing, level-headed adult really can be a drag.
However, being an all-knowing adult also has its perks like the ability to create a dessert that’s pretty darn close to brownie batter, sans the stomach wrenching illness. In fact, it’s even easier to make than the real deal AND is so much healthier. The adult in you is going to say, “Ha! Mine is better than yours!” to your 8 year old self.
This dessert is not only simple to make but is vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, packed with 22 grams of protein and only 5 grams of sugar! It’s really like a dream come true in chocolate form. I just know you’re going to love it!
Edible Protein Brownie Batter
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 6 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free milk (may need to add more depending on consistency of protein powder. Adjust by adding one additional tbsp at a time)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.