It’s that time of year again when I have more zucchini than I know what to do with. I try to eat foods seasonally and thus don’t eat zucchini much in the cooler months here in New England. So, you can imagine my excitement in meal planning when the temperature begins to rise. Yup, if you thought zucchini everything then you imagined correctly. I’d estimate at least two meals a week plus smoothies and some baked goods get a little dose of this delectable veggie. I really love how versatile it is and it’s just so good for you since it’s packed with potassium, antioxidants and Vitamin C!If you’re into the whole food trend thing then you’re certainly familiar with transforming this veggie into noodles. It’s a super easy to do, low carb alternative to pasta and pairs well with just about any sauce from tomato to pesto and everything in between!
This 7 Blade Vegetable Slicer is my go-to for all of my veggie spiralizing needs.
I definitely don’t have a shortage of zucchini recipes on the blog but this may be one of the easiest meals. These turkey meatballs paired with my arugula pesto (slightly varied version also found here) and freshly spiralized zucchini noodles makes the perfect weeknight dinner since it takes less than 30 minutes and definitely doesn’t lack in flavor!
This low carb, high protein dish will be your new go-to to use up all of that zucchini you’ll be stashing away in the fridge in the upcoming months!
Turkey Meatballs with Arugula Pesto Zucchini Noodles
Prep time: 15 minutes/ Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 c gluten-free oat flour (or make your own by adding 1/4 c rolled oats to a food processor and pulse until a fine flour forms)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 large zucchinis (or you can purchase precut zucchini noodles at your local grocery store to save time)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 c arugula
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c walnuts
- 1/4 c goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with foil (easier clean up).
- In a large mixing bowl combine the turkey, oat flour, egg, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Using your hands form about two tablespoons worth of mixture into a ball. Set onto lined pan and repeat until all of the mixture is used.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook the meatballs for about 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink in the center. Allow to cool slightly when done.
- In the meantime, using your spiralizer with the attachment, cut the zucchinis.
- Add the noodles to a pan along with two tablespoons of oil and sauté over low heat to warm, about 5 minutes. Tossing on occasion.
- To make the pesto, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- When noodles are ready toss them in half of the pesto and serve topped with an additional dollop of pesto, meatballs and a sprinkle of more goat cheese if desired.