Are you a spoon or a fork kind of cookie-cake person? I mean truthfully if it wasn’t totally frowned upon by all parties involved I’d just use my hands. But, since we live in a world where I may annoy some eager dessert goers I’ll opt for whichever utensil is the closest. Setting the utensil discussion aside, this cake is like a dream. No wait scratch that…is DEFINITELY a dream. If I wasn’t the creator (thus the one adding the ingredients) I’d totally assume I’d walk away from this dessert 10 pounds heavier and with regret I hadn’t worn looser pants. However, what kind of healthy foodie would I be if I did that to all of you?! (Not a very good one as a matter of fact.) So, I can proudly present to you this dreamy dessert that’s HEALTHY and GUILT-FREE (yes the caps lock was necessary) and you can absolutely wear skinny jeans while eating. This yummy cake is vegan, grain-free and packed with protein, healthy carbs, healthy fats, no refined sugars and uses only seven ingredients which you probably already even have on hand!
The feature star in this dessert is this AMAZING peanut butter that I just simply can’t get enough of. Good Spread not only makes some totally addicting organic flavors like chocolate pretzel and honey banana but for each jar purchased they donate one treatment of MANA to a child in need. If you’re unfamiliar, MANA is a ready to use therapeutic food which is a fortified peanut butter based medicine provided in the treatment of malnourished children. The ingredients are milk, vitamins and peanut butter. Being able to supply these treatments to children in need truly saves lives. In less than six weeks 96% of children are completely cured. As a bonus, so you know you’ve made an impact in helping save lives, every jar has a unique barcode that can be scanned to see exactly where your MANA packet is headed. It’s truly wonderful to know even just one person can really play a big role in changing the world.
In this recipe I used Good Spread’s Probiotic Peanut Butter. It has just a hint of sea salt, no added sugar and all the creaminess you’d expect in a peanut butter plus probiotics which makes this cake even more of a reason to eat!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c peanut butter + 1 tbsp for drizzle (I used this)
- 3/4 c maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c chocolate chips + 1/4 c for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly grease a small cake or loaf pan.
- In a blender combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Pulse until smooth.
- Mix in by hand 1/2 cup of chocolate chips then pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Sprinkle with the additional 1/4 cup of chocolate and bake for 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean (the cake will be soft even when ready and that is okay).
- Allow the cake to cool completely before drizzling with peanut butter and/or removing from the pan. Or, if you can’t wait, you can even serve it right out of the pan while still warm like I do!
Note: if you have any leftovers you can store them tightly covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.