I’m all about picture books these days. There’s really nothing better than being able to read to your little ones and watch them explore the pages with their hands. Such as running their tiny fingers across a meadow as if to feel the tall grass, tapping on the page of a baby elephant as if it were able to capture its attention or pulling at the cardboard page as if eager to turn to the next one. It’s such a special time my daughter and I share together. We certainly have our favorites and I can’t even tell you the excitement I feel when we read one that’s only a few simple phrases (because by bedtime I’m lucky if I can process a three word sentence).
Why are we discussing picture books you ask? Well, for starters, I like pictures. Pictures really do tell a story all their own and don’t necessarily require lengthy sentences to get the point across. A perfect example would be the pictures of this salad. There really are no words needed to describe how amazingly delicious this recipe is. It is simple, healthy and the flavors are perfection! You just can’t go wrong with a combo of chicken, bacon, egg, tomato and of course lots of avocado.
So without giving you some lengthy story of why I love this recipe so much just admire the pictures and try your best not to drool onto your computer screen.
What you’ll need
- Mixed greens
- Chicken breast
- Turkey bacon
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
Cobb Salad with Lemon Avocado Dressing
Serves: 2-3 people
Prep time: 10 minutes/Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- About 4 large handfuls of mixed greens
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 avocado
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a sauté pan over medium, heat the oil. Season both sides of the chicken with paprika, sea salt and pepper and add the pieces in a single layer into the pan. Cook about 10 minutes each side, flipping once. Remove from heat when cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. Slice into bite sized pieces when cool and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the eggs to a pot of cold water and bring to boil. Cook for about 12 minutes (timing may vary if using small eggs and/or if you prefer the yolk slightly underdone). Remove from heat when ready. Peel and slice the eggs when cool. Set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the chicken, add the bacon slices and cook until crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat when done and rough chop into bite-sized pieces then set aside.
- To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour the dressing into a jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble the salads, plate the greens and then top each with the chicken, eggs, bacon, tomato and avocado. Sprinkle on a little fresh cracked pepper and sea salt and then drizzle with dressing (lots and lots of it!).
Note: You can pre make the chicken, bacon and eggs and refrigerate all until you’re ready to assemble the salads. I don’t recommend assembling until you’re ready to serve as the greens may wilt. Although, I doubt you’ll have extra dressing, leftovers are best stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed jar for up to 3 days (it makes a great dip for veggies and homemade chips, too!)