As vacation approaches in just over a month, I’m reminded of the fact that I’ll be sporting a lot less clothing than I’m currently in. Aka, I’ll be trading my puffy down jacket, boots and hat for bathing suits, dresses and shorts…oh my! So, you can imagine staying on track is key right now. Not only for my well-being but also for my waistline. However, as I’m not yet soaking in the rays by the beach I am still craving warm, comforting foods. A useful gadget in my kitchen for the job is my slow cooker. This little contraption makes my life a heck of a lot easier by cutting out my time spent in the kitchen as well as making meal prepping a cinch!
In the winter I love making soups and stews since not only can I make enough to get us through a few days but it’s literally SO EASY! You just toss anything and everything in the pot, set the timer and you’re done! And the best part (if all of those things aren’t good enough) is that you can still have healthy comfort food without the guilt. Yup, you read that right, you CAN keep your waistline even during the winter months.
This stew in particular is my latest favorite on the menu. It’s both hearty and filling and hits the spot on a cold night. It’s packed with tons of yummy veggies that pair perfectly with the creamy broth. It’s free of gluten, dairy, soy, grains, nuts, oil and is also vegan. It’s like the soup that literally can please everybody!
So whether your getting bikini body ready or not whip out your slow cookers and make this heart-healthy, soul-warming delicious soup tonight! It makes a great meal by itself or it can be (depending on your dietary needs) topped with Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning (my personal favorite), turkey or vegan bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream or chives. YUM!!!
P.S. If you haven’t tried Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning you’re seriously missing out. I sprinkle this stuff on literally everything…soup, salads, roasted veggies, scrambled eggs…EVERYTHING!!
Slow Cooker Potato Stew
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Serves: about 6 large bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low
- 6 red potatoes, diced bite-sized (about 5-6 cups)
- 4 large carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 large celery stalks, diced (about 2 cups)
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 c dairy-free milk (I used cashew)
- 1/3 c tapioca flour
- Place all of the vegetables into the pot of the slow cooker.
- Pour the broth over the vegetables and season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker on high or low (depending on preference).
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, in a small bowl mix together the milk and flour until no lumps remain.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Let the stew continue to cook until the time is up.
- Serve warm and topped with your favorite toppings.
- Store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.