And just like that 2018 is in full swing and I’m over here trying to get back on track…it’s a daily struggle! If you follow my blog you know my thing is convenience. I’m always in search of keeping it simple so I make smart choices and don’t just go for the easy. Being a mom I don’t have a ton of time anymore to spend in the kitchen, and truthfully I don’t really want to, so whatever is accessible is what I’ll choose and thus my goal is make the easy choices also the healthy ones.
A super easy (and smart) choice is this addictive roasted almond butter. If you haven’t ever made your own nut butter you’re seriously missing out. It’s so good and a lot easier than you probably think. All you need is nuts (any kind will work), an oven and a high powered blender. I love my Vitamix for this type of recipe.
This almond butter is so versatile and nothing beats homemade! I also find roasting the nuts before hand not only brings out the nutty flavor but makes it gentler on my stomach than eating them in raw form. Although this step is optional it is helpful for those with digestive issues. I love to add this yummy spread to toast, in smoothies, as a dip for veggies and even for a crispy crunchy chicken topping.
Oh, and it’s just as amazing by the spoonful…just saying.
Roasted Almond Butter
Makes: about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 c raw almonds
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment and spread the almonds out evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pan and allow the almonds to cool completely.
- When cool, add the almonds to a blender or food processor and pulse on high. Scrape down the sides occasionally until you reach a smooth texture.
- When the desired consistency is achieved, scoop out the almond butter and store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.