Yup, you’re looking at a lightened up version of a BLT. This low carb, easy to throw together, full of flavor and clean eating dish makes the perfect meal. Not to mention even better leftovers!
This recipe is also very versatile…
For a paleo version: omit the cheese and use a nut based version instead. You can also swap out the turkey bacon for regular bacon if you prefer.
For a vegan version: swap the turkey bacon for tempeh bacon and use a dairy-free substitute in place of the cheddar.
Some awesome add-ons to this dish would be sliced avocado, fried egg or chopped green onion. The options are endless!
BLT Spaghetti Squash Boats
Serves: 2/ Prep time: 10 minutes/ Bake time: 30 minutes
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for drizzling
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 slices uncooked turkey bacon
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 c + 1 tbsp sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 c mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Rinse and slice the squash lengthwise then drizzle both halves with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Lay halves cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until they can be easily shredded with a fork.
- In the meantime, cook the turkey bacon in a frying pan over medium heat flipping halfway. Cook until crispy. Remove from pan when ready and lay to rest on a paper towel. Crumble when cool.
- When the squash is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool to the touch, shred each half with a fork and place in a large bowl, reserving the shells for later.
- Toss the squash with the tomatoes, crumbled bacon and 1/4 c of grated cheddar. Divide in half and fill each reserved squash shell with the mixture. Sprinkle with the additional cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil, season with additional sea salt and pepper and top with fresh chopped greens. Serve warm.