I feel like I should be ashamed to say it’s taken me this long to make such a ridiculously simple and delicious dish. Well, better late than never, right?!I can’t use enough caps lock buttons to explain how much YOU NEED THIS RECIPE IN YOUR LIFE. I made these falafel last night and served them over toasted garlic naan bread with fresh, crisp veggies, hummus and a sprinkle of feta. First bite in I turned to my boyfriend and said, “I must say I’m quite the chef!” I probably could have also eaten them all but he would have been hungry. 😉
With just a few simple ingredients you can whip up these healthy little falafel as a quick weeknight meal or even serve them at your next party as the perfect bite-sized app! Just make sure you make enough to share!< a href=”https://thehappyhungryyogi.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/snapseed-30.jpg”>< b>Easy Vegan Falafel< i>Gluten-free/Vegan/Nut-free/Soy-free< i>Makes: about 14 Falafel/ Prep time: 10 minutes/ Cook time: about 15 minutes2 15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 c gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- olive oil for frying
- In a blender or a food processor, lightly pulse the chickpeas, garlic cloves and juice from 2 lemons until chunky.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in the flour, parsley, cumin, sea salt and pepper until well combined.
- Generously coat the bottom of a large frying pan with oil and the heat pan over medium-low heat.
- Form the falafel by hand by scooping out about 1/4 cup worth of mixture, rolling into a ball and pressing to slightly flatten.
- When it begins to sizzle place about 5 or 6 falafel into the pan, making sure to space them out. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown (flipping once).
- When ready, remove falafel from the pan and let rest on a paper towel. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all falafel are made.
- Serve with a dipping sauce like tzatziki or layer into a pita sandwich with fresh veggies and hummus (my favorite way!).