Speaking of “fun” which uh kind of rhymes with “yum”. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this recipe. I was going to fill in this block of space with something inspirational of course but I just couldn’t seem to find the words aside from YUM and honestly copying and pasting the word “yum” hundreds of times in this entry still wouldn’t even do this recipe justice. Plus it would be a tad bit annoying. So, I threw in some Dr. Suess for good measure…Anyway, THIS recipe is any snackers must. As in if you like to snack and like to have a sweet treat that doesn’t have an adverse effect on your conscience this one’s for you. I mean yes not only is this a kid-friendly treat but I can assure you as a childless adult even I have these pops stashed away in my freezer to curb my sweet tooth. And speaking of a kid-friendly treat, this recipe can also double as a FUN after school project you can make together. Just simply prep the pops before hand and then decorate when you’re ready to enjoy. I made these ones (shown) with some fall inspiration but you can easily modify the toppings to fit any holiday, celebration or season!
Okay maybe what really gets me excited about these is that I’m sometimes still a kid at heart, but hey, what’s so bad about that!?
Greek Yogurt Banana Pops
Makes: 4 pops/Prep time: 5 minutes/Freeze time: 1 hour
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 c non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Popsicle sticks
Topping ideas (shown from left to right)
- 1 tsp festive colored sprinkles
- 1 tbsp caramel sauce and 1 tbsp chopped apple coated with cinnamon
- 1 chopped mini dark chocolate peanut butter cup
- 1 tsp roasted pepitas
- other ideas: shredded coconut, chopped strawberries, coarse sea salt, crumbled cookie
To make the pops:
- Slice both bananas in half so you end up with four equal pieces.
- Insert a popsicle stick into the end of each banana.
- Using a spoon, cover the banana in the yogurt and gently lay onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining pieces.
- Place the pan into the freezer and let set for at least 3o minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips on high for 30 seconds. Stir and melt for an additional 30 (if needed).
- Remove the pops from the freezer and using a spoon drizzle the chocolate over each.
- Top with the treats listed above or create your own, the options are endless!
- Once the toppings are complete, place the pan back in the freezer and let set for another 30 minutes before serving. (Store any leftovers in the freezer until ready to enjoy.)