If there’s anything you learn about me upon meeting me for the first time it’s that I’m a coffee addict. The reason you’d find this out so quickly would most likely be because as I’m shaking your hand my other one is being occupied by, you guessed it, a cup of coffee. Now when I say that coffee is my life force I’m really not exaggerating in the least. Basically, if you were to cut me open I’d mostly likely bleed the stuff. Wait, is that bad?
The thing about waking up and requiring a cup prior to your eyes even opening (and how I make it to the kitchen in the morning like this I don’t even know) is that you really CAN make it work magic beyond just the quick caffeine fix to get you going. There’s so many ways you can incorporate and reap some pretty fantastic health benefits in a single cup of joe. Here let me break it down for you…
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Take your basic cup of dark roast…
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (I use this)
- 1/2 tbsp raw cacao powder (I use this)
- 1/2 tsp maca powder (I use this)
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
Blend all ingredients and drink immediately while warm.
What you get (besides an insanely delicious cup of coffee)…
- Almond milk, a great dairy-free substitute, can aid in weight management while supplying you with a healthy dose of calcium and vitamin D.
- Coconut oil (it literally can be used for ANYTHING) helps to improve blood cholesterol levels since it contains heathy fats. It also aids in weight loss and strengthens both the immune and digestive systems.
- Raw cacao is a favorite of mine (and not because a form of chocolate is involved) but it has been shown to balance hormones, give you glowing skin, prevent premature aging, prevent heart disease and even give you an energy boost.
- Maca powder is a great staple superfood for women. It contains vitamins B, C and E and it also, like cacao, balances hormones and gives you an energy boost. In addition it is shown to increase both fertility and bone density.
- Maple syrup is an ideal alternative to processed sweeteners. Since it is natural and minimally processed it doesn’t get stripped of its good stuff like zinc, maganese and antioxidants. It is also lower on the glycemic index making it have less of an impact on blood sugar levels.
- Turmeric, one of my go-to superfoods, works amazingly (based on my own personal experience) with inflammation and digestion.
- Cinnamon is another great spice that packs some major benefits including the ability to lower blood sugar and has both antifungal and antibacterial properties making it a great way to naturally fight off infections.
- Cayenne pepper, like turmeric, also aids in digestion. As well, it’s great for those with arthritis since it is known to relieve joint pain.
- Not just any salt but Himalayan pink sea salt is a miracle worker. This edible crystal can regulate electrolytes, balance your pH level, lower blood pressure and prevent muscle cramping.
Now do you really need more of a reason to drink a cup of coffee?!