I know it may be hard to believe it when I tell you that breakfast is my favorite meal. Oh, wait, you knew that already? Well then it should come as no surprise that this Coconut Crusted French Toast recipe is my new go to for that perfect weekend-sleep in-make a big delicious breakfast on a cold winter morning kind of meal. How can you deny the flavors of coconut, cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate? I should also mention it’s packed with superfoods, protein and heathy fats. Yup, it takes French toast to a whole new level. It’s like a breakfast lover’s dream come true!
Coconut Crusted French Toast with Cacao Sauce
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread (sub any kind of bread if not gluten sensitive)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 c shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for cooking
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder (I used this)
- 3 tbsp real maple syrup (use more or less depending on desired thickness)
- Slice bread diagonally so you end up with 8 slices and set aside.
- In a shallow pan, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Gently place bread slices into the mixture, flipping once, to saturate both sides.
- While bread soaks, heat a large frying pan with the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the shredded coconut to a separate bowl and carefully dip each bread piece to generously coat both sides. Place the bread onto the frying pan.
- Allow each piece to cook about 3 minutes per side. Remove when both sides are golden brown and crisp.
- To make the sauce, combine the cacao and maple syrup in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Serve alongside the french toast for dipping or spreading.