It’s a no brainer sometimes when I create recipes. Like an accidental no brainer if such a thing exists…I simply just think “I feel like having some avocado”, for example, and “oh I could use up these artichokes” and then toss in a little faith and there you have it, a brand spanking new recipe. Granted it’s not always as easy peasy as throwing this and that together but when it works, IT WORKS. Like going back to my example, wanting a creamy, spreadable dip but not keen on all of that cheese so why not swap it out with an avocado?! I mean it’s creamy and just as delicious, am I right? Who wouldn’t want to be able to enjoy the delectable-ness of artichoke dip that’s free of grains, gluten, soy, dairy, nuts and sugar? I know what you’re thinking and no it doesn’t taste like cardboard and yes it’s a healthy dip that you can eat by the spoonful (skip the crackers all together) and enjoy this tasty appetizer or snack even when trying to keep on board with your all of your healthy New Year’s resolutions!
Avocado and Artichoke Dip
Serves: 6-8/Prep time: 10 minutes/Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 c kale, chopped
- 1 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 medium avocados (about 2 c)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 tbsp)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- optional serving ideas: tortilla chips, plantain chips, sliced veggies or just a spoon 😉
- Lightly spray a saute pan (I used coconut oil spray but can sub any cooking spray or oil just keep in mind restrictions if necessary) and heat over medium. Toss in kale and lightly cook just to wilt (about 5 minutes). When done remove kale from heat to cool.
- In the meantime, slice the artichokes into quarters and add to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Scoop out the flesh from the avocados and add to a food processor along with the lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of artichokes and add in the wilted kale. Gently toss with a spatula until well combined then transfer the dip into a serving dish.
- Serve immediately with your favorite crackers, chips or veggies.