Makes: 18 cookies/Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes/Bake time: 15 minutes
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax meal + 1 tbsp water)
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1/4 c vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 c almond butter
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 1/4 c Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1:1 Baking Flour
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Mix flax meal and water in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the brown sugar, softened butter, almond butter and molasses in a stand mixer and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Add the flax egg and spices and continue to mix.
- Slowly add the flour and mix at medium speed until a dough forms. It should be firm enough to hold a shape on its own.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and form into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Measure out 1 tbsp of dough and form into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. No need to press them down. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 5 minutes then remove and bake cookies for about 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool before serving.
Note: these can be made into cut out cookies just keep in mind the dough is fragile when kneading and rolling out. Adjust baking time as needed. Feel free to add your own icing as well!