I don’t think there is a time throughout the day that I’m not planning what my next meal is going to be either later that day or even the next. Not just because I enjoy cooking so much but there is nothing worse then opening the fridge after a crazy busy day and staring with a blank expression at its contents. I know we’ve all been there when we open and re-open the fridge several times as if something new may miraculously appear. As they say, “fail to plan then plan to fail”. I’m all about being proactive when it comes to being healthy and fit. I normally plan on Sunday what I’ll be making over the course of the week, purchase what I need and then spend some of the day prepping ingredients and/or cooking things ahead of time and portioning them out. It not only allows me more time to do other things throughout the week but it also prevents me from skipping meals, which lets be honest here it’s easy to do but not a healthy habit to have! Trust me, if you give meal prepping a shot you will feel like you have your entire world under control. There’s no better feeling physically and emotionally than leading a healthy lifestyle and this is one step in the right direction.
This Spaghetti Squash Bake is not only an easy dish to prepare but it also makes a great one for meal prepping. You can bake this ahead of time and then cut it into squares and refrigerate or freeze for that moment when you need a quick weekday/night meal. This dish can also be easily modified with what you have on hand. You can swap out the chicken for another protein and even add in other veggies like mushrooms or sliced olives. This dish also pairs great with a side salad for a light, healthy and satisfying meal everyone will love!
Spaghetti Squash Bake
Serves: 6/Total bake time: 50 minutes
- 4 c shredded spaghetti squash (about 1 large or 2 small)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 10oz can diced no salt added tomatoes
- 2 handfuls kale, chopped
- 2 c cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c asiago and parmesan cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Wash and slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise. Lay halves cut side down onto the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until squash can be shredded using a fork. Allow to cool before shredding and then set the squash aside in a large bowl.
- In the meantime, add olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes (I drained out most of the juice to avoid adding too much liquid), kale, chicken and toss. Allow to cook until kale is slightly wilted. Once done, remove from heat to cool.
- Turn the oven temp to 425F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the tomato/chicken mixture and the eggs to the bowl of spaghetti squash. Season with salt and pepper and toss to thoroughly combine.
- Pour and spread the mixture evenly into a large casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes until egg is cooked and top is bubbly and slightly brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition (per serving): 172 calories/ 7g fat/ 12g carbs/ 15g protein/ 5g sugar