It should come as no surprise to you that I have a little bit of a sweet tooth. Okay, it’s more like a little times a million but hey, there could be worse things, right? I try to manage my sweet intake by making my own treats and opting out of buying any store bought ones simply for the purpose of being able to control what I’m eating. I mean wanting to know what’s really in your food should be of concern, regardless of what it is. The thing about making your own sweets, or anything for that matter, is it’s actually a lot easier than you think. You don’t have to make some elaborate dessert to impress your family or friends. A few clean ingredients have the ability to be transformed into something spectacular, I promise!
With the holidays approaching (OH. MY. GAWD…is it really only 8 weeks until Christmas!?) this time of year can be a hard one with all of those get togethers that ALWAYS include food upon food upon food. Not to mention something about the holidays just brings out the most delicious recipes, from irresistible desserts to savory side dishes, you just can’t help and want to try every single one. So, before you go and fall off the bandwagon, as it is only October, start out on the right foot by choosing healthy recipes that don’t get you off track. Since Halloween is just a day away, I’ve mixed up this easy little treat that takes place of that store-bought, processed and over sugared junk. These No Bake Pumpkin Spice Bites take just minutes to whip up, will satisfy all ages and fulfill that “MUST. EAT. CANDY” feeling without the guilt. So enjoy the first food filled holiday on a light and healthy note!
No Bake Pumpkin Spice Bites
Makes: 2 dozen bites
- 2 c oat flour (I use this)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 c creamy almond butter
- 1/2 c pumpkin purée
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- Combine the flour, sugar and pumpkin spice in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, heat the almond butter until it’s easy to stir (about 30 seconds).
- Add the pumpkin and almond milk to the almond butter and stir thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Scoop out a little of the dough using a tablespoon and gently roll into a ball between your hands. Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat until you get 24 balls and all dough is used.
- Put the pan in the fridge and allow bites to firm up for at least 30 minutes. Store in the fridge or freezer to keep.
Nutrition (per bite): 62 calories/ 2g fat/ 8g carbs/ 2g protein/ 1g sugar