What kind of food blogger am I to dread the thought of cooking? One that hates the thought of cooking when it’s 90+ degrees outside. Yes, it’s been like living in an oven here in New England. Normally I wouldn’t complain because it could be a lot worse. We could be buried under several feet of snow and dealing with negative temperatures. However, trying to recipe test in this humid, can’t breathe, “oh my gawd I’m gonna pass out” weather is, simply put, not fun. I practically drag myself across the kitchen floor and with the AC cranked cook like I’m on the show Chopped, as fast as humanly possible. In other words, simple, quick and with the least amount of heat needed has been the running theme. If it wouldn’t get old and boring for you all you’d probably end up with a gazillion salad recipes for the rest of the summer. Fortunately for you, I’m not a salad every single night kinda gal and need variety. So, I suck it up and cook. A genius idea (not my own) is a one pan meal. It’s simple, requires only one pan (duh), just basic ingredients, generally quick cooking time and is a breeze to clean up since, well, there’s only one pan. How much easier, aside from getting take-out, can a meal be? Hot summer day, busy weeknight or whatever your reasoning is this skillet dish is the perfect answer to your cooking prayers. Prepare the chicken ahead and this meal can be done in 20 minutes! So quick, you won’t even have time to overheat in the kitchen!
Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
Serves 4-5/Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1lb chicken, pre-cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 8oz cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 c sun dried tomatoes
- 8oz artichoke hearts, liquid drained and chopped
- 1/2 c green olives
- 2 c spinach
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh basil for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Cook about 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add in the mushrooms and give a quick stir. Cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Toss in the cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, oregano, parsley, sea salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cover to let simmer for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Add in the chopped chicken and spinach and let cook until chicken is heated through.
- Serve warm garnished with basil.
Note: You can easily swap out the chicken for another protein. Sausage and shrimp both work well too. If using frozen meat make sure to defrost it completely before adding to the pan to avoid ending up with excess liquid.