I realized as I was making this dish how quickly I go through chili powder. I mean seriously. I began wondering if I am either adding it to more recipes than I realize or I’m sleep walking at night to the kitchen and eating it by the spoonful. It really is such a great spice! Since I do enjoy foods with a kick adding a large pinch to various recipes along with other spices brings on a level of flavor I can never get enough of. I think it pairs especially well with chicken and fresh veggies. Hence the recipe you’ll find below. Chicken fajitas is such a simple meal to prepare but can pack some intense flavors and heat depending on your preference. Like all of my recipes, this one can be modified to fit your taste buds, dietary needs and/or with what you have on hand. You can wrap it into homemade Paleo Tortillas, pre-made organic corn ones if time is an issue or just spoon it onto a bed of Cauli Rice or brown rice. You could even toss in black beans before serving and add a sprinkle of cheese. Like I mention in the recipe this can of course be made mild to extremely hot just adjust accordingly (but don’t skip the chili powder all together!). This Baked Chicken Fajita dish has endless possibilities and while keeping in check with your clean eating I bet you’ll be more than happy to keep this dish as a go-to for your weeknight healthy meal planning. It makes great leftovers, too!
Baked Chicken Fajitas
Serves: 4/Bake time: 25 minutes
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into small strips
- 1 small sweet onion (1 cup), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper (1 cup), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper (1 cup), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper (1 cup), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 c fresh squeezed lime juice and additional lime wedges for serving
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (can use olive or any other oil if preferred)
- 1 tbsp chili powder (add additional teaspoon if you prefer spicy)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Salsa, guacamole and any other desired toppings to serve
- Place chicken pieces on the bottom of an oven safe casserole or baking dish.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Pour over chicken, cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or up to overnight).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove cover and top chicken with chopped onion and peppers.
- Bake, covered with foil, for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove foil, toss and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with brown rice, Cauli Rice or stuff into Paleo Tortillas. Add desired toppings and a squeeze of lime.