I don’t often find I have loads of time in the morning to spend over a stove making pancakes (as much as I’d love it). So, I end up eating a less exciting, but still yummy breakfast. However, recently I’ve been incorporating organic Greek yogurt into my diet and let me tell you it’s been a game changer. I’ve been adding it to smoothies, muffins (like my Easy Oat Muffins with Blueberries) and even pancakes. Yes, you read that correctly, pancakes. Now I know dairy can be an issue with some so you can substitute a non-dairy version into this recipe though the protein content and flavor will vary slightly but it will still work. As you know I’m an advocate for breakfast and can’t stress enough the importance of having a good balanced meal upon waking. Blah, blah, blah…okay health rant done. So here ya go! A protein packed breakfast that’s healthy, easy to make, so delicious and packed with 26g protein! See even on a weekday you can have your pancakes and eat them too!
Protein Pancake with Greek Yogurt
Serves: 1/Cook time: about 6-8 minutes
- 1/2 c gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 c organic Greek yogurt (or sub non-dairy yogurt of choice)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp walnuts, crushed
- additional yogurt, berries, maple syrup honey, etc. for topping if desired
- Lightly grease/spray a non-stick pan and heat over medium-low.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour mixture into center of pan and spread out to form one large pancake (don’t spread too thin, a little thicker will make flipping easier).
- Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and edges are crisp.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, additional yogurt, honey and/or other desired toppings.