Growing up in Boston, or New England for that matter, makes most of us, like myself, really appreciate Spring and Summer. They are far too short around here in my opinion. One of the things I love about this time of year, aside from the fact that there’s no snow, I don’t have to wear 10+ layers of clothes, I can enjoy the sunshine, I’m not vitamin D deprived, I don’t get frost bite every time I go outside, etc., etc. is the fact that the yummiest fruits and veggies are in season. I mean nothing beats fresh picked berries. Nothing. Well, almost nothing. I mean let’s not even compare to chocolate. Okay, it’s a pretty even tie between berries and chocolate. Anyway, fresh picked berries like strawberries can be made into the most delicious treats AND they’re good for you! It’s perfectly acceptable to stuff a pie shell with berries and eat it. Well not the whole pie but you know what I mean. Everything in moderation. Another ingredient that I just recently started using that is also currently in season is rhubarb. Similar looking to celery this tart veggie works great when paired with things like fresh strawberries. Though I do have a sweet tooth (like you didn’t already know) I actually prefer sweets that aren’t overly sweet. Sounds a bit contradictory, I know. Incorporating rhubarb into this recipe adds a tartness that helps to offset the sweetness making it the prefect balance in my opinion. This Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is just a simple dessert that with every bite will make you love his time of year just as much as I do.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Makes: 1 9-inch pie/Bake time: 1 hour
- 1 double crust pie dough, prepared as directed (I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free pie crust mix. Pre-made crust will also work just make sure you have two.)
- 2/3 c gluten-free baking flour
- 1 c coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 c fresh strawberries, left whole if small or sliced in half if large
- 2 c fresh rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 egg, whisked for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Roll out half of the pie crust dough into a 13-inch circle and place gently into pie dish. Press lightly to seal any cracks that may form in the dough.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange extract and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the strawberries and rhubarb and gently toss to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the pie dish.
- Roll out other half of unused dough and using a cookie cutter or knife either cut strips to weave or shapes to slightly overlap and arrange on top of pie. Or if you prefer, you can also roll dough into another 13 inch circle and lay directly on top just make sure to cut slits into the center to vent.
- Fold edges of crust(s) up and pinch together. Brush top with egg wash.
- Bake pie for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. If crust begins to brown too quickly cover loosely with foil.
- Let cool before serving.