I am always drawn to cooking that doesn’t take up a huge amount of the day. I mean who really has time for that? Every now and then when I’m feeling inspired and have a chunk of the day free I find myself mixing up this, baking that, etc. without feeling pressed for time. Though on most days, and I think I can speak for other people out there, convenience is key. Being able to whip up a tasty meal without having to slave over a hot stove (and don’t forget the clean up) is the way to go. Any way to (healthily) cut corners and still create a great dinner is a win. This particular recipe not only supplies a healthy dose of protein, omega 3’s, magnesium, zinc and iron from the cod but it also packs in healthy fats and calcium from the pesto and parmesan. You can easily save time by buying premade pesto (as I used in this recipe) and prepared filets. It takes a lot of the prep work out so you can actually have this meal plated within 20 minutes! This recipe can also be very easily modified to fit any dietary needs by using dairy free pesto, swapping out the parm for dairy free cheese crumbles and even subbing the breadcrumbs for almond meal. You may get a slightly different flavor if doing so but I guarantee it will still make a great meal!
Parmesan Lemon and Pesto Cod
Serves: 2/Bake time: 15 minutes
- 2 cod filets (about 4oz each)
- 1/4 c pesto (homemade works too though I used Trader Joe’s Pesto and Quinoa because I love it!)
- 2 tbsp gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- Prepare filets and dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Lay filets in the pan.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Spread about 1/8 cup of pesto on top of each fish and then sprinkle half of the bread crumb mixture on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes or until topping is crisp and fish flakes apart.
- Squeeze lemon over fish and serve over veggies or pasta and enjoy!