There’s just something about the flavor of a roasted red bell pepper that makes my mouth water. It’s the perfect sweetness that when accompanied with savory flavors creates the ultimate dish. I know stuffed peppers aren’t a new thing but what food blogger doesn’t have one go-to version somewhere on their site?! I love the flavors in this particular recipe. It creates a simple dish that is both satisfying and nutritious the whole family will enjoy! Not to mention it’s so so easy!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4 red bell peppers (can sub any color)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray or line a baking sheet and set aside.
- Clean peppers, slice lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Place the peppers cut side down on the baking sheet. Drizzle with one tablespoon of oil and roast for about 20 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, brown beef. When done remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add the remaining oil and shallots and cook 2-3 minutes until tender scraping up the brown bits from the beef.
- Add the beef back to pan along with the tomato paste, remaining spices, and spinach. Stir to combine. Cook just until spinach has begun to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- When tender, remove the peppers from the oven.
- Spoon the beef mixture into each pepper half and top with a bit of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake at the same temperature for about 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and peppers are warmed through.
Storing: leftover will last for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.