In the dreariness that is New England this time of year I always try and incorporate color into my food. It’s a subtle way to add some brightness into my life since I am rarely getting it by going outside. The easiest way I find to do this through food is the obvious, fresh fruits and vegetables. Not only are fruits and vegetables good for you but there is also a reason behind their beauty. For example, green veggies and fruits contain chlorophyll giving them their rich green hues. They also contain vitamins such as A, C, K and folate as well as indoles which can lower your risk of cancer. Red, blue and purple also contain lots of vitamin A, C and folate. These types of fruits and veggies are packed with antioxidants which help to protect your cells against free radicals and may lower your risk of heart related issues, memory loss and cancer. Orange and yellow carry folate, potassium and vitamin C. They also contain carotenoids which help keep your immune system up to par and use a specific carotenoid called beta-carotene to create vitamin A. So long story short, your food can not only be beautiful but it can also be packing in more benefits that you might realize. One easy way to add some beauty to your meal is through this yummy (and easy) Fish Taco with Cabbage Slaw recipe. It’s packed full of some eye catching color with the use of purple cabbage, yellow lemons, green avocado and green cilantro. See, a little color really can make your day a whole lot better!
Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
Serves: 4 (2 tortillas per person)/ Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 tortillas (get my Paleo Tortilla recipe here)
- 4 cod fillets
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
Rub for fish
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 c red cabbage, shredded
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- juice from ½ lime
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together seasoning for fish and rub generously on both sides of fillets.
- Heat a large grill pan or non stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot place fillets on pan and cook about 3 minutes on each side (may take less or more time depending on how thick the cut is). Remove the fish from pan and break apart into bite sized pieces. Set aside when done.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, salt and pepper then toss with the cabbage and cilantro.
- Plate tortillas and top with fish, slaw and avocado.