I pretty much am addicted to avocados. I eat them everyday and with almost anything like smoothies, salads, eggs, chicken and even desserts. Any excuse to add an avocado I’m all over it. It not only tastes amazing but it’s so good for you! This green powerhouse of a fruit is packed with vitamins, more potassium than a banana, heart-healthy monosaturated fats, fiber, can lower cholesterol, help absorb other plant based nutrients, may prevent cancer and the list goes on. If those aren’t reasons enough to eat one I don’t know what is. A quick and easy dinner that I like to whip up that features this nutritional fruit is taco bowls. It’s a hearty little meal with some spice, veggies and warm tortillas. It’s a match made in heaven if you ask me. The great part to this simple dish is you can modify it to what you have on hand as far as veggies and toppings go (just don’t skip the avocado!). It’s a no fail meal that will definitely be a hit. It makes great left overs too! So if you’re looking for a way to incorporate avocado into your life or just need a new meal idea here’s a yummy, healthy recipe to get you started…
Roasted Veggie & Avocado Tortilla Bowls
Serves: 4 (2 tortillas per person)/ Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1lb organic ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c white onion, deuces small
- 2 c sweet potato (about 1 large), diced small
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt to taste
- 1 c tomato (about 1 medium), diced small
- 1 avocado, pit removed and sliced
- Optional toppings: shredded greens, salsa, etc.
- 8 soft tortillas (try my Paleo Tortillas recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop onion and sweet potato into bite sized pieces and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and sea salt. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven when done.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook covered until almost cooked through.
- Add all spices and diced tomatoes to pan. Stir to combine. Continue to cook until turkey is done about another 5 minutes. Add in the roasted veggies and toss to combine. Then remove from heat.
- To make the bowls, place tortillas in an upside down muffin pan by wedging them in between the cavities. You may have to bake them in steps as not all will fit in one pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350F or until crisp and holds its shape. Let cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Plate tortilla bowls and fill with turkey mixture and potato mixture, top with sliced avocado and any other toppings you’d like.