I recently purchased some new ramekins from Sur La Table. I could seriously spend hours in that store, or any kitchen store for that matter. I go in there and suddenly feel like I need every gadget I come across. It’s like being a kid in a candy store, as the saying goes. So after I left with these new ramekins I knew right away what I would be making. As a New Englander who is currently buried in several feet of snow, comfort food has been a reoccurring dinner theme in my house lately. I figured with these little dishes what better than to make Chicken Pot Pies. The idea of a warm crispy crust covering a creamy filling of chicken and fresh vegetables…mmmm. Anyway, I’m not big on adding a bottom crust to Pot Pies as it usually gets soggy so baking them in these little single serve dishes keeps it all intact as you can enjoy right from the ramekin, no bottom crust needed. It also keeps the presentation simple and the dishes to a minimum. Not to mention if you have picky eaters in your house you can customize the filling in each one before baking. Another great aspect of this meal is that it’s so simple. Even making your own crust (yes, I’m serious) is as easy as mixing up a few ingredients in a food processor. I promise you that though the idea of making a crust, cooking the filling, etc. may seem daunting once you make it yourself you won’t want to have it any other way. A comfort food that is fresh, simple and healthy is sure to warm you up if (like me) you’re buried under snow. If you’re not well you can just enjoy this delicious little comfort dish in your own neck of the woods.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Makes: 4 single serve pies/Cook time:
- 1lb chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1c yellow onion, chopped
- 2c green beans, chopped
- 2c carrots, chopped
- ¼ c full fat coconut milk
- ½ c almond meal
- 4 c chicken broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, whisked for egg wash
- ¾ c almond flour (not meal)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg white
- ¼ c ghee or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent slowly add the almond meal and reduce the heat slightly. Stir to coat the onions.
- Slowly add in the broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, carrots and chicken and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Set aside.
- To make crust, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Evenly roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Take a ramekin and flip upside down and press onto the dough using it as a cookie cutter to create the pie crust for each dish. Repeat until you have 4 (this paleo dough is fragile so work carefully).
- Ladle an even amount of the chicken, vegetables and sauce into each ramekin.
- Place a crust on top of each dish and press in around the edges to seal. Brush egg wash over each pie crust. Cut a small slit in the center of each to vent.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until crust is a golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.