I used to find all too often I would meal plan for the week all over the board and would end up buying too much and having some of it go to waste. It’s such a sad sight having to throw away veggies and fruit that weren’t used in time. So, I started being more efficient when planning the upcoming week’s recipes by incorporating a few of the same ingredients into several meals. It not only made grocery shopping much easier but it also even allowed me to prep some of the ingredients a head of time making the actual assembling it much faster and smoother. Meal prepping is not only a time saver but it helps to keep you on track. Those who plan their meals and snacks ahead are much less likely to veer off course and reach for unhealthy foods for convenience.
On a different note, I tend to notice that once fall comes I usually stick to more warming dishes like soups, stews and heartier dishes. So, when I meal plan I tend to buy a lot of seasonal vegetables that can be roasted, broths, whole grains and organic meat. As I was planning my weekly shopping list one Sunday and going over some new recipe ideas I wondered why I couldn’t also incorporate these same heartier ingredients into a salad. Why not make a salad that was Fall weather friendly for those of us who generally lean towards more warming foods. What could be better than a hearty salad filled with ingredients I was already using for other meals that week anyway? Absolutely nothing could be better…okay well that could be stretching the truth a bit but for those that are all about utilizing the ingredients they have and need a change of pace this one’s for you. Not to mention this salad is packed with tons of vitamins and minerals, carbs and healthy fats. Bonus, it’s also #meatlessmonday appropriate! So go ahead and dig in!
Butternut Squash and Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
Serves: 4/Prep time: 10 minutes/Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 6 cups), chopped
- 1/4 c roasted pepitas
- 1/4 c tahini
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the diced butternut squash in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil, cumin, cayenne, sea salt and pepper. Spread squash evenly onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- In the meantime, place the kale in a large mixing bowl and add in the additional tablespoon of avocado oil. Using your hands, massage the oil into kale until well coated, about one minute. Set aside.
- In a mason jar or small sealed container, combine the dressing ingredients and give the jar a good shake to mix.
- When the squash is ready remove from the oven and add to the kale. Toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, divide kale and squash mixture and plate. Sprinkle with pepitas and a drizzle of dressing.